Friday, January 22, 2010

Reflective Comments week one

I like blogging for the purposes of sharing educational ideas and resources not only with fellow students but with teachers as well.
I don't blog on a regular basis as I feel like I have to have a reason to use the blogs in a way that is efficient to the students and can be sustained as a regular tool of classroom use. My issue is the lack of available technology and the hassel of having to share it in a classroom space that may not have it for use for all at the same time.
Unfortunately, computer rooms are being used for testing as well as for research and the teacher does not always have the time to get to the computers for students to use. Also the computers are overloaded due to to overuse on the internet or for other reasons when the students say, "I don't have a computer."
I just want to know how to get around this issue and am interested in any ideas.


__________________________________________________________________



Interviewing Keiva

Elizabeth Hansen-Clay Jan 16, 2010 12:16 PM



I am introducing Keiva Jones. I am looking forward to learning and working with all of you.
Elizabeth / Antigo, WI



Why have you chosen this course, this university and/or this program?

I have chosen this course and this university/program because I want to enhance my skills as a teacher, earn more money and become more technically proficient and use that expertise to help my students become more fully involved and active in their education. I wanted to earn more professional development credits, receive my certificate from UW-Stout and I felt that UW-Stout was the university to turn to because I don't have the proficiency yet, nor the expertise but I'm getting there.

Tell me about your background, experiences, and/or skills.

I have been teaching ELA for the past four years (three in sped) and while I initially took to the challenge of teaching to the special population I find that there are limitations and less time teaching, unfortunately, more time doing paperwork which I don't enjoy so it is my wish to return to teaching Gen. Ed English using the skills that I came into this profession with.

What do you expect from this course?

I expect to find out the different modes of assessment, how to make assessments mean more than taking tests, quizzes, and how to use them to inform my teaching and to become more reflective in my teaching.

What is one thing we might never have guessed about you?

One thing about me that you would not have guessed is that I am not as technically (sp?)proficient as my kids whom I teach. I am single, no kids, no man (looking though), just starting out in life trying to make sense of it all everyday.

Who is that special someone, thing or event that you cherish and would never want to give up?

I cherish my life and my health because I could be as wealthy $ as I want to be but if I have to spend money to hang on to my life rather than enjoy it sickness, pain free, well then, to me, I am not wealthy and I would trade that money for my health.

____________________________________________________________________


As part of our course, I was asked to take a test in which I was assessed on what cooperative teaching was and wasn't. I liked the experience of the test because it allowed one several chances to get it right and studt the test at the same time. In addition, the test asked the test taker to write a short essay response which made one reflect on the test and the content. So I would say that the test was a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment