Saturday, January 30, 2010

Using Concept Maps, Determining Objectives for Assessments and Researching and Collaborating on Assessments

This week we were instructed to design a concept map, create objectives with assessments in mind and collaborate with several team members to research a particular assessment tool and post all.

I designed the concept map using the novel, To Kill a Mockingbird that I am teaching my 9th grade English class. I basically set up the map with the relationships of the characters in mind on one side and the story info on the left. Concept mapping is a new form of technology for me and as such comes with a learning curve but I suspect if I find time to play with it, I'll get it. Whether I will use it in teaching my online classes remains to be seen.

Then we had to create objectives for the assessments that we are learning how to integrate with technology. These are the objectives I came up with, I basically used the ones that I use everyday in my onsite classes. They are: 1. Students will apply before, during, and after reading strategies in order to respond to print texts assessment:blog, wiki 2. Students will collaborate on a topic of choice by using appropriate texts in order to demonstrate analysis of texts.assessment: jigsaw 3. Students will compose oral, written, and visual presentations in order to inform, persuade, or express ideas.assessment: concept map for essay 4. Students will use suitable electronic and traditional resources and refine presentations and edit texts for appropriate and effective use of language and conventions. assessment: blog, wiki, concept map

Our final task is to prepare for our midterm exam by researching a particular assessment tool. We were placed into groups of 3/4, and each person assigned themself what assessment tool they would research. I chose WebEx; it is a collaboration tool that anyne can use to submit projects, papers, what have you, through your phone line. Unfortunately, there is a fee.

I like the collaborative process; unfortunately, I find that perhaps maybe I get the work done too quickly so while I may finished, my partner may not. I don't know how to deal with this issue and haven't found a way to, yet. We will see in the next post how the midterm turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment